Last week, many lives were lost due to catastrophic fires in both London and in Portugal.
Investigations are still under way to determine the cause(s) of the Fires but at this stage the Forest Fires in Portugal look like they may have been due to a natural event - Lightning Strike, whereas the Grenfell Tower fire appears to have been a sequence of events and factors that lead to the inferno.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who lost their lives and homes, are seriously injured, their families and friends and everyone affected by both Fires.
It is important that we all take stock of how a fire could potentially be caused in our own homes and workplaces.
A simple checklist could be used to carry out fire safety checks in a short period of time.
Here is a sample:
- Fire Risk Assessment
- Fire Certificate for the Building
- Documented Emergency procedures on display
- Emergency Lighting
- Fire Alarm
- Fire Detection System
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fire Hoses
- Sprinkler System
- Fire Blankets
- Annual Inspection of Fire Alarm System and Fire Fighting equipment.
- Weekly checks on Fire Fighting equipment, Escape routes, Alarm
- Fire Drill at least twice per year
- Induction and Refresher Training on Fire Safety for all Employees
- Sign in and Out Sheet for all employees and Visitors as well as Contractors
This list is non-exhaustive.
Do you need advice and guidance on checking if our Fire Safety Management System is up to scratch? Contact us today.